Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Billy Boy?

Okay, I might be having too much fun with this... :) Oh well. :)

Our family was doing chores after supper today. Usually that involves some singing. :shock: What? You mean in like the musicals?! Well, sort of, only we don't usually sing about what we're doing. We just sing while we're doing. So, anyhow. On this particular day, my younger sister started to sing, "O-oh where have you been, Billy boy, Billy boy? O-oh where have you been, charming Billy..." She continues the song, where he says he found a sweetheart, but she's too young and can't leave her mother. Finally she comes to, "Can she bake a cherry pie, Billy boy, Billy boy? Can she bake a chili pie, Charming Billy?"

Mom interjects, "Cherry pie".

My sister says, "That's what I said."

I chime in, laughing a bit, "I heard 'chili', too."

My sister laughs and proceeds to sing it again to satisfy us. Only this time it comes out wrong, too. After three or four attempts and many giggles while she stands in the open refrigerator door, totally unconscious of doing so, she tries again with gusto, "Can she bake a CHERRY pie, Chili boy--" She stops singing at our stares, then realizes her mistake and we all burst out laughing. Suddenly, I notice she has been standing with the refrigerator door open the whole time, and I stop laughing long enough to ask almost teasingly, "Why are you standing with the refrigerator door open?" That does us in again as she shuts it with a bewhildered look, "I have no idea!" Of course with more giggles.

The moral of the story? Never think about what you don't want to say, or you WILL say it! Or else it is: Don't sing while standing at the open refrigerator... it freezes your brain and you sing the wrong words.

Have a great day... and don't think about chili when you sing Billy Boy. ;)

~ Ashley/Zaya

3 comments:

The Romany Epistles said...

Hey girl!

I just wanted to let you know that I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you on the section of your story that you sent to me. I read every word of it and enjoyed it!! Here are a couple suggestions I have for you:

1) you switch point of views (POV) many times in one section. Your female protagonist will be thinking something, then her husband will start taking center stage and soon we're reading his thoughts. Try to stick to one POV per section, for that will help your readers understand what's going on.
2) the two little boys are ADORABLE--but as I mentioned in a comment on your xanga, I believe, they seem too advanced for their ages. Their thought processes and actions are those of children much older than them. Can you tone that down a bit without losing their character and charm?
3) you have a wonderful, pure writing style that is easy to read. You go, girl. :-)
4) keep up the good work! Edit, edit, edit. I like the hidden spirit of your heroine. She's sweet. OHH, and I almost forgot this: when I read the manuscript, I was shocked by how well you wrote the husband/wife relationship. It was great! Excellent job on that.

Have a great day, Ashley! I hope this helps you, if even just a little bit. Talk to you later. :-)

~Emily

Rebecca said...

Hey Ashley! Sorry I didn't get back to you after you commented! We did not buy the "daughters" movie - bought a car, and all other "unnecessaries" are on hold! But I hope to get it sometime.
So did you make your own gm fudge? Do you have a goat? Lukas is dying to get a goat...need a bit of a yard first, though :o)

Rachel Starr Thomson said...

Hi Ashley!

Thanks for your comment. Amazon hasn't dropped my books yet, and I hope they may still change direction. They're getting a LOT of bad press over this, from a whole lot of groups. You can keep abreast of the situation here: http://www.writersweekly.com/amazon.php

Little things to brighten our day. Beauty in Gentleness Speck of Joy Serenity