Thursday, May 12, 2011

Of Fireflies and... Security?

Just went on a lovely walk with my husband. I can't wait for the fireflies. And I love the peepers (frogs). The Lord's little wonders.

 

I've been thinking a lot about security lately. Perhaps because I have this uncanny ability to become attached to people, animals, places... And then I start wondering if they'll always be there. People and animals will pass on. Places will change.

And I have this wrong idea that my husband is all I need. Wrong! That thought would get me in a lot of trouble if I let it stay. Jesus is all I need. And my husband is a close second

God has been working on me to build around Him as the center. I don't know about other people, but for me, it's so easy to make your husband, your work, or your family your world. But truly I need to make the Lord my world. What I revolve around. What makes me tick. What gives me joy. Who I live to please and serve.

Otherwise, I will be disappointed when my husband can't fulfill my every need, when my friend seems to forget about me, when a place changes. 

To truly be joyful, I need to look to Jesus for my fulfillment and strength. Not myself. Not my husband. Not my family. Nothing but the Lord.

"The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower." Psalm 18:2 

Where are my eyes today? Where is my heart? Who do I run to first?

It should be the Lord first, husband second... then everything else.

 

~Ashley

 

 

 

No comments:

Little things to brighten our day. Beauty in Gentleness Speck of Joy Serenity