Tuesday, May 24, 2011

In the Midst of the Storm

My heart sinks as I hear stories of people's lives turned upside down by these storms.

I love thunderstorms... here where I live anyway. I love them at the same time I have a fear of them. But that's what makes them wonderful. They make a spectacular flash as lightening illuminates the world. The heavy rain makes a soothing pitter-patter as it hits the roof and ground. The thunder seems to rumble through my heart and somehow it's just amazing.

There is this thrilling mingling of breathlessness, because I know how powerful the storm can be, with a feeling of freedom and exhilaration and some strange desire to just stand out there with my face turned upwards, arms outstretched and take it in, experience the storm.

(I'm cheating 'cuz these pictures were taken a while ago )

 

Life is like that too. Full of storms. Some of them you feel you can run in, take in stride. See the good in. Others seem to leave a wake of destruction, so painful to the heart and body that you feel you can stand no longer.

But in the midst of that storm, Jesus is always there. Always.

Sometimes, not always, but sometimes, I think He allows those storms to turn us back to Him. To help us realize our need for Him. So that we stop feeling like we are so strong without Him, because we are not. He wants us to run to Him. For He is our refuge and strength. That is the only place we will really find rest and peace and joy. The first place I should turn is to Him. Dash into His strong arms, let Him be my father and protector.

"For thou hast been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shadow from the heat, when the blast of the terrible ones is as a storm against the wall." Isaiah 25:4 

 

I've been grateful for the little glimpses of sunshine these last few days, mingled with storms of course. Sometimes I just run outside and turn my face to the sun, I so love the feel of it glowing on my skin. I think Ethan chuckles at me whenever I perk up when I see the sun pop out for a moment and I drop whatever I'm doing and dash outside, even if just for a moment. I know it's silly, but that's just me. It can turn a droopy, heavy, overwhelming day into a happy, carefree day. (Maybe most of it is that I usually talk to God while I'm out there? I tell Him what's troubling me and He somehow lets me know it's not so bad after all. I turn my eyes to Him and He calms my heart. Somehow it just seems to be a habit for me. Now to make it a habit to talk to Him inside on cloudy days. )

In the midst of so many "bad news" things and the world seeming to fall apart, it's nice to see little joys in life.

The sunshine sparkling on water.

A little butterfly.

Tiny tadpoles slowly changing into neat little frogs.

New green growth litterally exploding everywhere after the cold of winter.

Bare toes in grass or sand.... And to know that Jesus is there. He never leaves me. And someday soon, I will be with Him, where all these painful things don't happen.

 

When I look upon nature - it's so pure, simple, trusting! When I turn my eyes to Jesus, the world grows peaceful once more.

 

~ Ashley

 

No comments:

Little things to brighten our day. Beauty in Gentleness Speck of Joy Serenity